Losing your best friend is a lot difficult to explain into words whether it’s because you have drifted apart, fought over something or it was a death, it’s difficult especially when your best friend is really an amazing person you knew for so many years. People are just aren’t perfect and there are situations that we can’t control. You promised to be “best friends forever” and swear that you will not lose touch. Breaking your connections is undeniably inevitable but it’s still painful.
No matter how the situations are going, losing your best friend is one of the worst. Based on researches, the number of friends we have starts to drop once we reached the age of 25 and your support system can be affected if one of those you have lost is your best friend. The longer you have known each other and the more memories you’ve been through, the more it hurts in your part and you can’t help but share some quotes about losing your best friends or inspiring friendship quotes.
Quotes about losing your best friends
It’s natural for people to grow and grow apart for they discover different interests and their lives take different paths. You can be close the other day, then not again the next day. Furthermore, there can also be a fight that you hurt each other so much that your friendship may come to an end. You can’t possibly erase them in your life but you must also move on.
If you are looking for things to share about your best friend, here are some quotes about losing your best friends to savor and probably to help you heal. You can also include this when you want to thank your best friend for the friendship before drifting apart. Some of these are from celebrities, activists, and poets.
1.”Sweet is the memory of distant friends! Like the mellow rays of the departing sun, it falls tenderly, yet sadly, on the heart.” — Washington Irving
Washington Irving emphasizes the memories of our friends who departed from us. It was sweet and bright like the rays of the sun. However, when the sun falls, it becomes sad like when the friendship falls slowly, it hurts on the heart.
2. “Don’t be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.” — Richard Bach
Your list of quotes about losing your best friends can’t be complete without this quote of Richard Bach. He simply told us that we shouldn’t be sad about the goodbyes we have among our best friends because for people who are real friends, they can meet again after a farewell.
3. “You don’t lose friends, because real friends can never be lost. You lose people masquerading as friends, and you’re better for it.” -Mandy Hale
Mandy Hale simply formulated one of the best quotes about losing your best friends. It simply tells us that real friends can never be lost even if you have drifted apart.
4. “If you lose a friend because you’re honest, it wasn’t a good friend.”
This quote says that if you lose your friend because you are just being honest with him/her, your friend is not a good friend.
5. “Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over.” — Octavia Butler
Octavia Butler also gave us one of the best quotes about losing your best friends. It tells us to let go of the people we treasure, even if they are going to hurl and break themselves. We must just be ready to help them pick up the pieces when the time comes.
6. “Friendship is delicate as a glass. Once broken, it can be fixed but there will always be cracked.” — Waqar Ahmed
Waqar Ahmed compared a friendship with a delicate glass that once broken, you can fix it but there will always be cracks or issues that can arise.
7. “Sometimes the loss of a toxic friendship is for the best.”
You can also add this quote to your list of quotes about losing your best friends. It’s a short quote that simply tells you that it’s the best for you once you lose a toxic friendship.
8. “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” -William Blake
William Blake told everyone that forgiving a friend who hurt you is difficult rather than forgiving an enemy and that’s so true.
9. “If you’re not losing friends then you’re not growing up.”
This quote tells us that loss is a natural part of our lives. If we are not losing some friends, we are not growing up and being mature.
10. “We all lose friends. We lose them in death, to distance, and over time. But even though they may be lost, hope is not. The key is to keep them in your heart, and when the time is right, you can pick up the friendship right where you left off. Even the lost find their way home when you leave the light on.” — Amy Marie Walz
As the last quote said, Amy Marie Walz, emphasized the loss of our friends as well. If we lost them, hope is not lost because you can keep your friends in your heart and when the time is right, you can still pick up the time where you have left.
11. “Don’t feel sad over someone who gave up on you, feel sorry for them because they gave up on someone who would have never given up on them.”
This quote can also be one of the famous quotes about losing your best friends. It tells us how you must feel sorry for the ones who gave up on you because they lost you who never gave up on them.
12. “You have to let people go. Everyone who’s in your life is meant to bein your journey, but not all of them are meant to stay until the end.”
Losing your best friend means letting them go. This quote simply tells us that people are meant to be in our life but there are people who will just pass by and are not meant to stay with you until the end.
13. “People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won’t notice their behavior that made you change.”
People have this habit of blaming others. When you have changed, they are going to notice the change in your behavior towards them but not their behavior that caused it.
Losing your best friend or best friends really hurt and it takes a lot of time moving on and letting go. We hope that these quotes can somehow heal the pain that you are feeling.